Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Top 10 Movies of 2016!

8th annual list! I've decided to try and change things up with this year's edition by dividing it into 3 lists:

1. Movies I will probably see in the theater

2. Movies I will probably rent from Redbox

3. Movies that I want to see but I'm not sure when

Why the change? Well, for starters, I only ended up seeing 6 out of my top 10 list last year. (There are 2 waiting for me to Redbox them sometime in the near future.) Also, realistically I don't go to the movie theater as often as the crazy days of my youth. (I saw each of the three Star Wars prequels 3 times in the theater. I love Star Wars but I could have paid for Harvard if I'd held off a little.) Hopefully by breaking down this list into sections I can give more attention to the films I'm most excited about while still being able to feature the ones that have me interested... even if it doesn't have me interested enough to buy a $12 bag of popcorn.


Movies I will probably see in the theater

1. Captain America: Civil War (May 6th)


Sure, this looks like it's one Hulk short of a third Avengers movie, but I'm pretty psyched about Captain America and Iron Man facing off against each other. I'm not really sure why they turned Captain America into a libertarian and Iron Man into Bernie Sanders but the issue of superhero privacy is an intriguing basis for a movie.

2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (December 16th)


Two things: No, this isn't the sequel to the movie you just waited in line last weekend to see. It's a prequel to A New Hope (and technically a sequel to the prequels) about the Rebel Alliance's mission to steal the plans to the Death Star. Second, if The Force Awakens is any indication, this should be really good. I'm not sure if the overall tension is possible in a movie where everyone knows the outcome but they still make movies about other important points of history that everyone already knows about.

3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (November 18th)


I will give them credit for not mentioning Harry Potter in this trailer. But, seriously, it's a HARRY POTTER SPINOFF! (and I consider that a good thing.) The really intriguing part is that the script itself is being written by Harry Potter author JK Rowling (she merely provided the source material in  the HP films.) It's set in America during the 1920s so basically if there were a Downton Abbey/Harry Potter mashup, this would be it.


4. Finding Dory (June 17th)


Finding Nemo is one of the most enduring Pixar films out of their near perfect history and the highlight of that movie is, without a doubt, the Ellen DeGeneres-voiced Dory. I'm not sure if this will have the ability to hold up to the original movie but they definitely created a world worth exploring further.



Movies I will probably rent from Redbox

5. The BFG (July 1st)

This would probably be higher on my list if I had read the book but it's been awhile since Steven Spielberg has made a "kids movie" (2011's The Adventures of Tintin... and if you don't count that one, it'd be 1991's Hook) and if this is in the groove of E.T., it could be really good.

6. The Jungle Book (April 15th)


The director of Iron Man, Elf and uh... Cowboys vs Aliens brings you the live-action version of the Disney animated classic. On one hand, I'm pessimistic. (Do we really need a live action version of every Disney animated classic?) On the other hand, Bill Murray.

7. Zootopia (March 4th)

This could possibly be the funniest scene in the entire movie but it's a pretty funny scene. (Looking forward to the live-action remake in 2056.)

Update: This brand new trailer gives a better idea of the storyline and I think shows a lot of promise:



8. Star Trek Beyond (July 22nd)


This would be higher on the list if it were directed by JJ Abrams (but he was busy directing another space movie and couldn't complete his trilogy) but I really enjoyed Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness (and have seen way too much of each of the Star Trek tv series). This is one that could be really bad but if it turns out to be good, I will regret putting it this low.


Movies that I want to see but I'm not sure when

9. X-Men: Apocalypse (May 27th)


I LOVED X-Men: Days of Future Past but it's probably mostly because it was great having the original X-Men cast back in a time-travel movie. While I am a big Jennifer Lawrence fan, I just have a hard time getting excited about this one like I have the other X-Men films. Maybe it's because Poe from The Force Awakens is a bad guy that looks like he escaped from the Blue Man Group.

10. Doctor Strange (November 4th)

doctorstrange1.jpg

A Marvel movie about a guy who does magic? I'll admit that I'm not that up on my Doctor Strange comic books (I'm more of a mainstream Spider-man or Batman kind of guy) but this definitely seems like they will test the limits of what the average movie goer wants in a superhero movie. I still haven't seen Ant-Man but that made a ton of money so they must have some idea what people like.

No comments:

Post a Comment