Thursday, October 20, 2011

Why I gave Newt Gingrich 10 bucks... (less political than you're expecting)

No really, I promise... this isn't a campaign post.

A couple of weeks ago, sometime late at night, probably after watching a little too much Hulu, I gave Newt Gingrich 10 bucks. Why, besides the fact that I have a serious lack of judgment late at night, would I do that?

Simple.

I think Newt is smart, a good communicator, has detailed answers...

and probably isn't going to win.

Don't get me wrong, there's some Newtmentum going on out there. He made a big deal few days ago when he moved into 3rd place... 7 percentage points behind 2nd place... 15 percentage points behind the leader... in a single poll. Needless to say, there's still time in the race but there's he's going to need a lot more Newtmentum if he actually wants to be a contender.

So, if he's such a long-shot, why donate the money?

It's easy. I spend money on what I believe in.

I believe in Newt $10 worth.

Just take a step back and look at where your money goes... What do you believe in?

You can fully believe in something that you don't give your money to. I believed in my local Congressman a lot more than I believe in Newt but I've never given him a dime. I have canvassed the streets for him on two occasions (both times in flip flops... bad idea.) but never given him any money.

That's just to say that this isn't a hard and fast rule, but like Matthew 12:35 says "A good man brings good things out of the good stored in him and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored in him." In other words, in the long run your actions (including your spending) will reflect what's going on inside.

I don't know about you but if I looked at my bank statement I would have to say that the thing I believe in the most... is myself.

And that needs to change.

1 comment: